Navigating through the special education process can be overwhelming and complex, yet nearly 14 percent of students enrolled in Alaska’s schools are accessing Special Education services. You don’t have to go it alone. Our Parent Navigators will help equip you with the tools you need to understand the system, work with schools and advocate for your student.
Stone Soup Group school support services include:
- Discussing Special Education questions, eligibility and alternative education options
- Assistance understanding processes, rights, and responsibilities, timelines
- Preparation prior to meetings
- Support at school meetings
- Sample forms and templates for communicating with the school
- Training regarding Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), Bullying Prevention, family rights and more…
- Assistance addressing challenging behaviors
- Referrals to other community resources
Stone Soup Group is proud to be Alaska’s designated State and Federal Parent Training and Information Center. As such, Parent Navigators work to build collaborative relationships and offer support one-on-one or in group settings. Services are offered throughout the state to families and professionals. Contact us to find out more about a training or schedule a consultation if you have a question regarding your child’s special education needs.
Additional School Resources
- Click here to download the Stone Soup Group Parent Handbook for Alaskan families. Get started learning about the process. Become familiar with the rights and responsibilities of the entire team.
- The Alaska Department of Education and Early Development has more Alaska specific information including a more detailed handbook available online.
- Watch a video overview of the special education system.
- Sample letters – Document everything! Here are a few sample letters you can use to communicate with a school.
- Checklist – Before you go to an IEP or get involved in eligibility for the Special Education process check to see if you have everything necessary.